Since its creation in 2000, SPDAC (a non-profit organization) has been organizing Mtl en Arts, a major event in the creation and diffusion of visual arts in Montreal’s cultural scene that brings the creativity of artists to the public.
Mtl en Arts extends over more than one kilometre of Montreal’s most important commercial boulevard, Sainte-Catherine Street, which is closed to automobile traffic during the summer and welcomes more than 160 artists from different disciplines every year. Many of them take part in its imposing exhibition-sale, while others offer the public a series of multidisciplinary and interactive performances.
The friendly and relaxed atmosphere of the event provides a favourable environment for exchanges and public-artist encounters and allows for an exercise in awareness and initiation to art. Mtl en Arts makes art accessible to the general public and also offers the opportunity to participate in several artistic performances.
Mtl en Arts is a contemporary cultural event of its time that meets the expectations of all generations. This first-rate event therefore coincides with the desire of the entire Montreal cultural and political milieu to make culture the springboard for the development of Montreal, a multicultural city known for its friendliness and creativity.
- To promote and develop the democratization of art by bringing it free of charge into the public space, the street;
- Offer a large-scale window to emerging and professional artists;
- Demystify contemporary art, by proposing a direct exchange between artists and the public;
- Better representation of multicultural diversity artists.
- Increase attendance and economic spin-offs in the neighbourhood.