GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE EXHIBITION-SALE
For 20 years, Mtl en Arts has been offering visual artists and craftsmen a showcase in the heart of downtown, allowing them to meet nearly 150,000 visitors.
Mtl en Arts mission is to democratize art by offering visitors an exceptional opportunity to meet artists from several artistic disciplines, professional or emerging in a friendly environment.
STEP 1 :
DETERMINE YOUR ARTIST CATEGORY (SEE BELOW)
To be eligible for this exhibition, you must and meet one of the following conditions:
- Be a full-time or part-time student artist in the arts;
- At the beginning of your career: have graduated in arts in the past five years (have graduated after June 30th, 2015).
- Be self-taught artist less than five years of professional experience.
- Be an immigrant artist from first-generation cultural communities (born abroad) or belong to a visible minority group, that is, from Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Latin America or a mixed origin.
To be eligible to this exhibition, you have to satisfy one of the following conditions :
- He declares himself professional artist;
- He creates works for his own account;
- His works are exposed, produced, published, represented in public or marketing by a diffuser;
- He received from his peers testimonies of gratitude as professional, by a mention of honor, an award, a prize, a grant, a selection in a jury show.
STEP 2 :
CHOOSE YOUR EXPOSURE LENGTH
– 2 DAYS: Saturday July 4th to Sunday July 5th
– 3 DAYS: Wednesday July 1st to Friday July 3rd
– 5 DAYS: Wednesday July 1st to Sunday July 5th
DEADLINE : APRIL, 13TH, 2020
To take advantage of the preferential rates, you must register no later than March 29, 2020.
COME AND EXHIBIT AT MTL EN ARTS :
- MAKE DIRECT SALES (NO COMMISSIONS TAKEN) ;
- MAKE YOUR ART KNOWN TO THE PUBLIC ;
- MAKE CONTACT WITH CUSTOMERS, GALLERIES AND AGENTS ;
- MEET ARTISTS AND SHARE YOUR PASSION WITH THE PUBLIC ;
- RUN A CHANCE TO BE AWARDED A PRIZE BY A JURY OF PEERS.
WHO CAN APPLY?
We invite visual artists and craft artists to apply, regardless of the medium used, their artistic background (established artists, students, arts graduates, self-taught, etc.), their provenance.
For the past 8 years, Mtl en Arts has offered preferential conditions of participation to emerging artists because we believe it is important to support the careers of these young people and offer them opportunities to succeed.
We also attach importance to cultural diversity, which reflects Québec society as a whole. Mtl en Arts is committed to helping artists for a better integration of new immigrants. In recent years, the participation of artists from cultural communities has been steadily increasing, reaching 25% last year.
In this continuity, we wish to continue our efforts to include and encourage artists from diverse backgrounds and emerging artists to make themselves better known in the arts community and to the general public by offering them entry fees at very reduced prices.
You must send us the following information via the online form to complete your registration:
- 8 photos of your works: Digital photos (JPG format – 72 dpi resolution). The weight of each photo must not exceed 2 MB.Minimum format: 750 px (top and/or width) / maximum format: 1500 px (top and/or width). Procedure for naming photos: NOMDELARTIST_NUMERODELOUVRE.jpg.
- List of works: Include the size, medium(s) used and title of each work presented in the online form.
- Curriculum vitae: a maximum of 2 pages.
- Presentation text: biography including your artistic approach – short text in English and French if possible (200 words maximum per version) * in WORD format (.doc). The biography summarizes the relevant information on your CV (Date and place of birth, studies, exhibitions, awards and recognitions obtained, if any). The artistic process must explain the artist’s progress, intentions, creative and production objectives.
- Registration fees: non-refundable payment of 25 $CAD via Paypal after having submitted your application. If you have a problem to procced with the payment, send a cheque on behalf of SPDAC at the following address: SPDAC / 576 rue Sainte-Catherine est, office 211, Montréal, Québec.
ENTRY FORM ”EMERGING ARTIST(S) AND ARTIST(S) FROM CULTURAL DIVERSITY” : https://form.jotform.com/200477086482257
ENTRY FORM ”PROFESSIONAL ARTISTS” : https://form.jotform.com/200477480172251
Choice of works for your application
It is important to focus on coherent works, linked to each other with a well-defined style and that you intend to exhibit at the festival.
If you are a multidisciplinary artist, we suggest that you apply by category.
If you make different types of works on different media (e. g. painting, collage, sculpture), avoid including them all on the same folder. This could penalize you when reviewing your file.
If you wish to submit works in both categories (visual arts and crafts), you must complete an application for each category. The jury will decide whether or not you can exhibit them together.
Put all the chances on your side. Don’t neglect your images! We advise you to avoid taking them with your mobile phone.
Please take the time to cut the photos properly using computer graphics software (PHOTOSHOP for example).
The quality of your photos is an important part of your application examination.
Once your application has been received, it will be submitted to the selection committee.
The committee of experts in the arts will select the files according to pre-established criteria:
1) COMPOSITION: How does the artist construct his works by distributing shadows, colours, surfaces, light and matter? It is important to verify the strength of a work by an overall composition. It must demonstrate know-how.
2) ORIGINALITY: The artist must present a dynamic work and demonstrate that he or she is venturing into his or her work. It does not seek to deal with subjects as they are shown or as you know them.
3) STYLE: The artist must demonstrate that he invents his own language, that he carries the seeds of a different artistic expression.
4) APPRECIATION: Please give an appreciation of the artist’s work as a whole.
THE SELECTION WILL TAKE PLACE IN THE WEEK OF APRIL, 13th 2020.
For the sake of diversity, Mtl en Arts reserves the right to distribute in equitable quantities the different artistic categories or styles.
The answer (positive or negative) will be sent by mail IN THE WEEK OF APRIL 19th 2020.
The decisions taken by the committee are final and without appeal.
The answer will be accompanied by an invoice if your application is accepted.
The invoice must be paid no later than April 30th, 2020.
Any artist who does not pay these fees on time will have their participation cancelled.
The artist will be able to pay by cheque, money order or credit card (VISA or MASTERCARD).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The works must be original works, designed by the registered artist.
A minimum quantity of by-products is accepted in the order of 25% of the works exhibited. We do not accept derivative products other than silkscreen prints or postcards.
The artist must be present at all times during the exhibition.
Please note that a space cannot be shared between several artists.
However, we recommend that you invite family members and friends to help you set up the booth.
100% of sales go directly to the artist
No commission or sales tax will be charged by the organization. The artist must make his own tax arrangements.
The festival’s insurance does not cover losses or damages to the works caused by fire, theft, vandalism and flood, nor the risks related to transport. The exhibitor will have to sign the entry form in order to disclaim the event ”Mtl en Arts” and the SPDAC.
Any artist may cancel its participation at any time. Cancellations must be received by email: email@example.com
No refund for the $25 registration fee.
- Selected artists who have not paid the participation fee at the latest on April, 24th, 2019 will be considered as cancelling their participation.
- For cancellations received before June,1st, 2020, artists will receive a 50% refund of the participation fee.
- Cancellations received after June, 1sh, 2020 will not allow any refund.
according to the exhibition dates and your category
The fee for the application and the evaluation is $25 and is non-refundable.
CANOPY 10' X 10'
CANOPY 10′ X 10′ : This high quality tent has four sides (canvases). The hanging of your works can be done from the structure of the tent, which rises to a height of 8′. The shelter is resistant to bad weather (rain, wind, etc.).
IDENTIFICATION: on a plaque in front of the tent appears your artist name, your origin and your booth number.
EMERGING ARTIST(S) AND ARTIST(S) FROM CULTURAL DIVERSITY
OPTION 1 - STORAGE
The storage option will give you access to a space to safely deposit your artwork in the evening.
- Your space will measure 5’L x 3’Lg x 8’H and will be identified with your name.
- The containers are installed at the intersections of Sainte-Catherine Street, near your exhibition space.
- You will be able to store your works from 8 p.m. and pick them up from 10 a.m. the next day.
- Please note that access to the containers will be limited during exhibition hours.
PLEASE NOTE THAT IT WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE TO STORE YOUR WORKS IN CONTAINERS THE DAY BEFORE THE EXHIBITION AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO STORE YOUR WORKS AT THE END OF THE EXHIBITION.
OPTION 2 - TABLE AND CHAIRS
The set includes a 6′ x 36” table + two folding chairs.
NO.You have to rent a tent from Mtl en Arts for set up uniformity.
OF COURSE. The supplier is responsible for setting up the tents the day before the event.
NO. If you reserved a storage space, it will be available at the end of your first day of exhibition.
NO.The space cannot be shared with another artist. Be aware that it is more advantageous to be alone in your space in order to enjoy full visibility.
NO.You have to unhook your works every night. Mtl en Arts is not responsible for theft, broken works during your exhibition period. We are not responsible for securing any equipment left in your tent.
REMINDER: You will not have access to Sainte-Catherine Street because the street is pedestrian.
Catherine car la rue est piétonne.
The structure that will can be used to hang your works and/or structure is located 8 feet from the ground.
YES. Sainte-Catherine St. is covered by a wireless network – http://portail.ilesansfil.org/faq/
YES. Two information kiosks at both ends of the transaction will be used as a buying station for a 6.5% service charge on the transaction amount.
YES. You will need to obtain the necessary documents to enter Canada to sell your works. If your application is accepted and the exhibition fees are paid, it will be possible to provide you with a letter mentioning your participation in the festival for a period of time to support your visa application if necessary. All travel, accommodation, shipping, insurance and customs costs are at your expense. We recommend that you work with an authorized customs broker to import your works into Canada.
- February, 24th, 2020 : The opening registration date
- March, 29th, 2020 (11:59PM): Deadline registration to take advantage of the preferential rates.
- 25 mars 2020 : Prolongement des inscriptions au tarif régulier
- 5 avril 2020 (23 h 59) : Clôture des inscriptions
- Dans la semaine du 6 avril 2020 : Sélection des candidatures.
- Dans la semaine du 13 avril 2020 : Notifications de sélection pour les artistes.
L’appel de dossiers se poursuit jusqu’au 5 avril 2020 (date limite).
24 avril 2020 : Date limite pour le paiement des frais de participation
Date à déterminer (entre le 22 et le 29 mai 2020) : Une séance d’information sera offerte aux artistes pour vous transmettre des conseils fort utiles pour le succès de votre exposition (présentation du kiosque, promotion via les médias sociaux, les choses à faire et ne pas faire…).
29 mai 2020 : Les artistes sélectionnés recevront une trousse incluant des informations sur votre participation telles que le plan de la rue, votre emplacement sur la rue et numéro de kiosque, horaire d’arrivée le premier jour de l’expo, et le lieu de votre entreposage (si il y a lieu) etc …
Mercredi 1er juillet au vendredi 3 juillet (3 jours) : Première période d’exposition
Samedi 4 juillet au dimanche 5 juillet (2 jours) : Deuxième période d’exposition.