GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE EXHIBITION-SALE
This virtual exhibition will bring together the creations of some thirty artists selected by a jury of peers. Art lovers will be able to purchase their favourite works through the online boutique available from August 17 to 31, 2020.
As for the exhibition of the artist’s portfolio on the festival site, it will remain online for a while following the Mtl en Arts v2.0 festival.
“Despite the cancellation of the festival announced last April, it is essential for us to continue to support the work of more than 60 local visual artists, especially in these difficult times,” said Stéphane Mabilais, General Director of the festival.
DEADLINE : AUGUST, 5TH, 2020
WHO CAN APPLY?
We invite visual artists and craft artists to apply, regardless of the medium used, their artistic background (established artists, students, arts graduates, self-taught, etc.), their provenance.
For the past 8 years, Mtl en Arts has offered preferential conditions of participation to emerging artists because we believe it is important to support the careers of these young people and offer them opportunities to succeed.
We also attach importance to cultural diversity, which reflects Québec society as a whole. Mtl en Arts is committed to helping artists for a better integration of new immigrants. In recent years, the participation of artists from cultural communities has been steadily increasing, reaching 25% last year.
In this continuity, we wish to continue our efforts to include and encourage artists from diverse backgrounds and emerging artists to make themselves better known in the arts community and to the general public by offering them entry fees at very reduced prices.
You must send us the following information via the online form to complete your registration:
- 4 photos of your works: Digital photos (JPG format – 72 dpi resolution). The weight of each photo must not exceed 2 MB.Minimum format: 750 px (top and/or width) / maximum format: 1500 px (top and/or width). Procedure for naming photos: NOMDELARTIST_NUMERODELOUVRE.jpg.
- List of works: Include the size, medium(s) used and title of each work presented in the online form.
- Curriculum vitae: a maximum of 2 pages.
- Presentation text: biography including your artistic approach – short text in English and French if possible (200 words maximum per version) * in WORD format (.doc). The biography summarizes the relevant information on your CV (Date and place of birth, studies, exhibitions, awards and recognitions obtained, if any). The artistic process must explain the artist’s progress, intentions, creative and production objectives.
- PORTRAIT PICTURE: In order to communicate as well as possible on our exhibitors, we wish to add a portrait image for each artist file which will be put on line on the Mtl en Arts website. This visual will be used to accompany your artistic approach in the virtual gallery. In this perspective, please send a photo according to the conditions below:
- A portrait type photo (bust and face or face only)
- On a white background
- Resolution 300 dpi
ENTRY FORM : https://form.jotform.com/202033700722237
Choice of works for your application
It is important to focus on coherent works, linked to each other with a well-defined style and that you intend to exhibit at the festival.
If you are a multidisciplinary artist, we suggest that you apply by category.
If you make different types of works on different media (e. g. painting, collage, sculpture), avoid including them all on the same folder. This could penalize you when reviewing your file.
If you wish to submit works in both categories (visual arts and crafts), you must complete an application for each category. The jury will decide whether or not you can exhibit them together.
Put all the chances on your side. Don’t neglect your images! We advise you to avoid taking them with your mobile phone.
Please take the time to cut the photos properly using computer graphics software (PHOTOSHOP for example).
The quality of your photos is an important part of your application examination.
Once your application has been received, it will be submitted to the selection committee.
The committee of experts in the arts will select the files according to pre-established criteria:
1) COMPOSITION: How does the artist construct his works by distributing shadows, colours, surfaces, light and matter? It is important to verify the strength of a work by an overall composition. It must demonstrate know-how.
2) ORIGINALITY: The artist must present a dynamic work and demonstrate that he or she is venturing into his or her work. It does not seek to deal with subjects as they are shown or as you know them.
3) STYLE: The artist must demonstrate that he invents his own language, that he carries the seeds of a different artistic expression.
4) APPRECIATION: Please give an appreciation of the artist’s work as a whole.
THE SELECTION WILL TAKE PLACE IN THE WEEK OF AUGUST, 7TH, 2020
For the sake of diversity, Mtl en Arts reserves the right to distribute in equitable quantities the different artistic categories or styles.
The answer (positive or negative) will be sent by mail IN THE WEEK OF AUGUST 10th,2020.
The decisions taken by the committee are final and without appeal.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The works must be original works, designed by the registered artist.
We do not accept derivative products other than silkscreens or postcards.
In the case of a sale, the artist will be responsible for completing the transaction and delivering the work to the client.
In addition, it is also essential that the artist immediately confirms the festival as soon as a work is sold, so that it can be indicated “SOLD” on the website.
No commission will be taken by the organization on sales.
Starting price: should ideally be lower than the reserve price. The aim is to encourage art lovers to bet on the works.
Reserve price (secret): minimum selling price that the artist wishes to obtain for his work.
At the end of the auction, the artist will be contacted as soon as possible to follow up on the activity.
- If the reserve price is not reached, the work will not be sold. However, the festival will contact the last bidder to find out if he or she is interested in buying the work at the reserve price.
- If the reserve price is reached, the final sale price and the client contact will be forwarded to the artist to complete the sale and delivery of the painting to the buyer.
The call for entry starts on July 22 and runs until August 5, 2020 (deadline).
- August 7, 2020: Selection of candidates.
- In the week of August 10, 2020: Selection notifications for artists.
Monday 17 August to Sunday 30 August, 2020